Terrazzo and its Various Applications in the Real World
Much has been said about terrazzo being the ideal material for floors both indoors and outdoors, however terrazzo has come a long way since its humble beginnings and is now being used for more than just flooring systems. Below are some of the ways that terrazzo is being used today.
- Kitchen countertops, tabletops – thanks to technology, terrazzo can be cut into specific shapes and sizes to for use as countertops in the kitchen, office or custom-made into eye-catching coffee tables or side tables. Because terrazzo is heat-resistant and can cool down rapidly, it is the most ideal building material for this type of application especially for kitchen installations.
- Steps, stairs – terrazzo steps and stairs can be pre-fabricated or precast offsite and installed onsite. Additionally, terrazzo steps and stairs can be made with an anti-slip finish thereby making them safer especially in both indoor and outdoor areas where there is higher foot traffic like schools, hospitals, hotels, airports and many more.
- Wall panels, 3D wall installations – terrazzo’s design flexibility allows builders and designers to create one of a kind wall panels and wall installations to enhance a living or commercial area.
- Outdoor benches, furniture – terrazzo is perhaps the most durable and flexible material in the market today. And with technology such as CNC machines, customization has become easier to achieve. Because of its durability and as well as its being environmentally friendly, terrazzo is often the choice material in creating outdoor furniture.
- Jewellery and modern art pieces – yes, you read that right. Small pieces of terrazzo have been used to create stunning pieces of jewellery and modern art pieces. Because terrazzo is highly customisable, any jewellery or modern art piece made from the material have a unique and striking aesthetic.
As the technology relating to cutting, casting and creating terrazzo installations is continually improved on, still more real world applications for the material will be discovered.