What is the proper way of cleaning my terrazzo tiles? Are these terrazzo tiles indestructible? Can I just mop the floor with any solvents to clean it? These are a few questions most of our customers ask.
Terrazzo is a great material, it is considered very strong. However, like any material it requires proper maintenance. In this article, we will discuss in-depth the proper way of maintaining your terrazzo tiles so you can enjoy it for decades.
- Avoid harsh cleaners and sealers– these liquids can damage your tiles. Use materials that are neutral: PH factor 7 and 10 should be used for scrubbing and mopping floors. Avoid all purpose cleaners and soap that contains the following: water soluble, inorganic, crystallized salts, harmful alkali, and acids.
- Avoid sweeping compounds– these compounds contain oil and can cause discoloration to your floor. Oils can also be a fire hazard.
- Use water-based sealer designed for terrazzo– for those who want to have a high sheen on their floors, used water-based sealers for this. Make sure these sealers are designed for terrazzo. The Underwriters Laboratories classification of this sealer should include a slip resistance with a coefficient of friction rating of minimum 0.5.
- Avoid using solvent based sealers- the problem with this type of sealer is that it has a tendency to discolor over time. This poses a problem for the user as wear patterns start to develop over time.
- Use acrylic water based sealers– We do recommend acrylic water based sealers mopped on, in one or more coats, in accordance with the instructions of the manufacturer. This can also be followed by an acrylic water-based finish for daily or weekly buffing if a high sheen is desired