Basic Cleaning Guidelines for Terrazzo Floors
There is no other flooring system easier to maintain than terrazzo floors. If you know the proper way of cleaning and maintaining your terrazzo floors, they can remain as flawless as they were when they were newly installed. The thing to remember with terrazzo floors, you cannot deviate from recommended cleaning methods without first consulting your terrazzo builder. While terrazzo floors are pretty much impervious to most stains and cracks resulting from high impact trauma, using the incorrect cleaning solution or material can harm your terrazzo floors.
Here’s a list of Dos and Don’ts when it comes to cleaning and maintaining your terrazzo floors.
Let’s start with the Dos.
- After installation, consult your terrazzo builder for the best methods, cleaning solutions and materials that will give you the best results.
- Sweep before you mop. This ensures that grit and dirt do not scratch the surface of your terrazzo floors. This is especially important to remember when your terrazzo floors extend to your exterior spaces.
- Use only recommended cleaning products.
- Remember to always consult with terrazzo experts if you are unable to procure the recommended cleaning solutions before you deviate or change from what is normally used.
- Deep clean your terrazzo floors at least twice a month. More depending on the amount of foot traffic that your floors get.
Here are the Don’ts:
- Avoid using “great for every kind of surface” solutions. They do not have the proper pH balance needed to thoroughly clean your terrazzo floors without harming them.
- Don’t use an electric polisher without first sweeping your floors thoroughly. Doing so would ground debris deeper into your floor and over time could cause pitting and scarring.
- Don’t forget to thoroughly rinse your mops before using them again to ensure that all previous grit and debris have been removed completely.
- In the event that your terrazzo floors get heavily stained, do not attempt to fix the situation without first consulting with your terrazzo builder. While it is true that everything can be found on the internet, it is still best to get advice straight from those who are considered experts on the field.
Remember to stick to the guidelines and your terrazzo floors will remain flawless and pristine throughout the years.