Whether you are thinking of building from the ground up or just renovating an existing space, finding the right kind of people to oversee and take charge of the building project is crucial. Many structures often fall short of its expectations and standards because of subpar work or materials. Let’s take for instance you want to remodel your living room and one of the changes you want to make is to switch out the parquet flooring to terrazzo. First off, you want to make sure that you hire the right terrazzo contractor. How do you find the best one from the many terrazzo contractors listed in your search?
Preparation is the Key
Before you hire a terrazzo contractor or any contractor for that matter, first you must do your homework. There are a number of things to consider in hiring any kind of builder, designer or project contractor. Below are some of the pre-hiring considerations:
- Ensure that you have a clear idea of what you want your new floors to look like. It is important that you know how your existing space will look like with the changes you want done. One advantage of switching to terrazzo floors is there is almost a limitless number of design options to choose from that could complement the current color scheme of your living area.
- Start the search. Look through your local business listings, ask for recommendations and do a localized search on Google for terrazzo contractors. Get as many as 10 options if possible and then make a comparative list taking into account your project goals and the services they offer.
- Narrow down the list to the top three choices by doing background checks. Read reviews and feedbacks from past clients. Browse through their social network platforms and go through their online brochures or their work galleries. Note everything down on the comparative list you started to get a better handle on which of your current choices of terrazzo contractors is the best fit for your renovation project. Additionally, your background checks should cover whether or not your choices have any existing disputes regarding their work performance and build quality.
- Once you’ve narrowed down your list, get your estimates. Generally, most contractors give free estimates depending on the scale of work you want. Let them know what you want to have done on your renovation project. Different contractors offer different project costs and payment schemes. Choose what is most ideal for you. Steer clear of contractors that demand outright cash payments in full. Additionally, it is important that you let your terrazzo contractor know about the non-negotiable ground rules you set in your home during the renovation process.
- After making an informed choice in which terrazzo contractor you’re hiring for the renovation, ensure that a proper and fair work contract is drawn and signed before any work is done. Take note of the start and end dates, scope of work, work permits and such, payment terms and everything relevant to your project.